- Alwin John
- April 21, 2021
Azure Application Gateway
- It provides application delivery controller (ADC) as a service and offer various Layer 7 load-balancing capabilities.
- It is on top of load balancing the workloads, can make routing decisions based on URI path or host headers. For example, route traffic based on the incoming URL.
- If /images are in the inbound URL we can route the traffic to a specific set of servers (or pool) configured for images. If /video is in the URL, that traffic is routed to another pool.
- It can be used to do TLS/SSL termination. TLS/SSL termination can be useful to allow unencrypted traffic between Application Gateway and backend servers.
- Application Gateway also supports end-to-end TLS/SSL encryption.
- It includes a web application firewall called Web application firewall (WAF) that protects workload from common exploits like SQL injection attacks or cross-site scripting attacks, etc
Azure Load Balancer
- Azure Load Balancer is a high-performance, low-latency Layer 4 load-balancing service (inbound and outbound) for all UDP and TCP protocols.
- It is built to handle millions of requests per second.
- It is zone-redundant for ensuring high availability across Availability Zones.
- Load balancing refers to evenly distributing load (incoming network traffic) across a group of backend resources or servers.
- It distributes inbound flows that arrive at the load balancer’s front end to backend pool instances.
- These flows are according to configured load balancing rules and health probes.
- The backend pool instances can be Azure Virtual Machines or instances in a virtual machine scale set.
- It’s using TCP/UDP load balancing and port forwarding engine only.
- It simply routes traffic based on source IP address and port to a destination IP address and port.
Azure Load Balancer types:
- Public load balancer:-
- It is used outbound connections for virtual machines (VMs) inside virtual network.
- These connections are accomplished by translating their private IP addresses to public IP addresses.
- Public Load Balancers are used to load balance internet traffic to VMs.
- Private load balancer:-
- It is used where private IPs are needed at the frontend only.
- It is used to load balance traffic inside a virtual network.